[oe] State of Java on OE

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Wed Apr 26 09:09:19 UTC 2017

Op 24-04-17 om 09:02 schreef Stefano Babic:
> On 22/04/2017 00:25, Steven Osborn wrote:
>> Is anyone using Java on OE devices right now?
>>
>> meta-java - no release branches.  Seems to only be focused on master.
>> I've had trouble even finding a revision that will compile on Morty.
>>
>> meta-oracle-java has a Morty branch, but the URI for the binaries is
>> bad so it fails to install.
>>
>> Overall it seems like Java is not a very favored or platform at the
>> moment.
>>

> I have got the same problems - the missing of release branches in
> meta-java is quite confusing. -master does not work with last releases,
> and everybody have to find working commit id for each release. And after
> that, cherry-picking something from -master to fix global issue (it was
> for me dependency's issue with classpath).
>
> Maybe we have to try to propose the maintainers to set release branches
> as usual.

You can add an empty class to make 'master' work with 'morty':

https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/meta-angstrom/commit/2eca0f1c932f098eb7fd877c5b00225408b2e42d

And I had to do this to make it build:

https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/meta-angstrom/blob/709abee819ee349dab873f6abb02c404b2c65331/recipes-tweaks/ecj/ecj-initial-native.bbappend

With this I can build 'openjre-8' on debian and fedora hosts for armv7 and
x86_64. It even runs jenkins, but it used 4x the amount of memory openjdk-7
did :(

regards,

Koen