[oe] chromium detected as stripped

Jussi Kukkonen jussi.kukkonen at intel.com
Mon Aug 14 10:22:04 UTC 2017

On 14 August 2017 at 10:04, Jussi Kukkonen <jussi.kukkonen at intel.com> wrote:

> On 13 August 2017 at 02:10, Andreas Müller <schnitzeltony at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> in current OE environment 'file' says:
>>
>> <...>image/usr/bin/chromium/chrome: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, ARM,
>> EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter
>> /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, stripped
>>
>> This file is 4.3G of size and this does not fir into most of my sdcards!
>>
>> One note: I have an elder environment: meta-browser
>> c79cf6c7811afd2cd167e8967e3c29b1e797371e. There chrome binary is
>> detected as not stripped and properly stripped on do_package.
>>
>> Any idea why it is detected as stripped?
>>

> I have a vague recollection that 'file' and other tools can get very
> confused when given 32 bit executables that are larger than 4 GB. It may
> make sense to build a non-debug version to begin with to get around this.

I chatted with rakuco who's done nice work with up to date chromium in
meta-crosswalk, he's got some relevant commits related to this:

https://github.com/rakuco/meta-crosswalk/commit/5aae1539c3d62b295dba40f494397c0797140b0f

https://github.com/rakuco/meta-crosswalk/commit/c56aa2bf047d3a01e14f4f9bfe5f88664b333f36

On a related note, this good work is currently a bit hidden in
meta-crosswalk -- is there a chance we could get this combined with
meta-browser (or whatever place makes sense)? I know next to nothing about
chromium packaging so CCing Raphael and the meta-browser maintainers for
comments.

Jussi​