[oe] DEPENDS += "module-build-perl-native" versus "libmodule-build-perl-native"?

Tim Orling timothy.t.orling at linux.intel.com
Fri Feb 17 16:19:30 UTC 2017

> On Feb 17, 2017, at 2:39 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> and, predictably, the meta-cpan layer provides that very recipe:
>
>  module-build-perl_0.4216.bb

The meta-perl layer follows Debian naming of perl modules:
https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/perl-policy/ch-module_packages.html <https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/perl-policy/ch-module_packages.html>

>  thoughts? should some names be cleaned up to prevent this?

There are many other places in the wild where the metadata is not consistent. The meta-openembedded/meta-perl layer-- being moderated on a mailing list — has some consistency. The meta-cpan layer — being authored by a NetBSD contributor and perl module author, on his own — does not follow the same guidelines. This by no means diminishes the value of the work Jens has done. But it is still Jen’s layer, not an officially supported OpenEmbedded layer.

IMHO, the best solution is to add perl module support to the recipetool so that we have an easier way to generate consistent metadata. And then try to convince everyone else to use the tool and follow the guidelines. We should also take a look at the existing metadata and clean it up.

Another option would be to have the OE community get involved in support of the meta-cpan layer and change the module generation code there appropriately to be in sync with the Debian naming guidelines.

The challenge for me personally is the same one I always have: TIME.

—Tim