[oe] Moving GNOME 2 recipes to an external meta-gnome2 layer?

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Thu Jul 6 15:51:59 UTC 2017

Hi,

The meta-gnome layer in the meta-openembedded repository currently contains
a mix of GNOME 2 and GNOME 3 recipes.  Considering GNOME 3 was released in
2011, so GNOME 2 has been unmaintained for six years now, I think it is
time to consider splitting out the GNOME 2 recipes into a meta-gnome2 layer
that can be hosted somewhere else: meta-oe isn't the place for recipes to
go and die, it should be useful and relevant.  I mean, one of the most
recent commits was a fix to Dates to fix it under clang.  We (OpenedHand)
abandoned that in 2009!

So, does anyone actually use the GNOME 2 platform still?  Does anyone
volunteer to maintain this layer?  Should I instead just delete the recipes
instead, reducing meta-gnome down to the few recipes that are part of the
GNOME 3 stack?

Ross