[oe] [meta-browser] Chromium and gold linker

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Mon Jul 10 21:09:03 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 02:00:35PM -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> On 7/10/17 1:47 PM, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 04:36:42PM -0400, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> >> Khem, et al,
> >>
> >> I couldn't find below patch being discussed on this mailing list before it got
> >> merged:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/OSSystems/meta-browser/commit/62e323848f569c4cdea5567b1917ce006d7705af
> >
> > https://github.com/OSSystems/meta-browser/commit/55a74501bc65c90c86e3236b51ec2dc2fc0145fb
> >
> > "ld-is-gold just means that my default linker is gold, however we build
> > both linkers, so one should be able to enable gold just for linking
> > chromium even if default ld is bfd linker."
> >
> > I strongly disagree with such interpretation - this would mean there's NO way
> > to disable gold linker completely, e.g. for when external toolchain doesn't
> > support it.

Copying OE architecture list for further discussion of "ld-is-gold" meaning.

> it is not just interpretation but how it is designed if you look closely
> to code in oe-core and as a matter of fact, there are certain packages
> where we enforce one linker or other.

So far I only seen forcing bfd, as a legacy linker, not the other way around.

> mere presence or absence of
> ld-is-gold in distro features does not mean that other linker will not
> be available. If your distro is making that assumption please correct that.
>
> I however agree, that using gold as default linker should have a knob
> and it so does which is USEGOLD, if a distro or toolchain layer does not
> want to use gold then they could set this variable to be off.
>
> USEGOLD = "" or USEGOLD = "-Dlinux_use_gold_flags=0"

Yes, I saw this variable and already added it to my bbappend. But the issue is
that it's per-recipe, not global. Do we need a separate distro-level flag to
avoid any and all gold linker references?