[oe] [meta-python] python-pygobject is not building and installing gi (gi.repository etc) modules on the target

Brownson Obele brownson4u at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 21:49:25 UTC 2017

   1. The main python module i am trying to add to my yocto build image is
   LDTP (https://github.com/ldtp/ldtp2). Using devtool, i have been able to
   create a recipe for it which seems to build without any errors. It is only
   when i try to run ldtp on the target that i see that certain dependencies
   are missing.
   2. So i am currently stuck at creating recipes for the dependencies.
   3. Right now, below is where i am stuck
      1. When i run ldtp, it trys to do an import from gi.repository XXX
      and then complains that there is no module called "*gi.repository*" but
      I have a recipe python-pygobject_2.28.3.bb which i expect to build
      and then install (create) the gi folder and its contents on the target.
      Somehow this is not happenning and i'm stuck trying to find out why.
      2. The python-pygobject was not created by myself but seems to have
      been created from this tarball http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/
      GNOME/sources/pygobject/2.28/pygobject-2.28.3.tar.gz
      <http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/GNOME/sources/pygobject/2.28/pygobject-2.28.3.tar.gz>
      3. I have unzipped the tarball and checked to see that it does
      contain the required gi folder  which in turn contains a
repository folder,
      makefiles etc but when i check my bitbake output in the
      *.../work/my_target_board/python-pygobject/2.28.3-r0/packages-split/python-pygobject/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages*
 folde,
      the gi folder etc is missing which means that they are not a part of the
      packages packaged/installed.
   4. What could i be missing? Any help in this regard will be highly
   appreciated.

Thank you

Brownson