[oe] [meta-java][pyro][BUG REPORT] jamvm-initial-native fails to build on host lacking java

Avery, Brian brian.avery at intel.com
Thu Jul 20 22:23:29 UTC 2017

Hi,

If there is a better or more appropriate place to report this kind of bug, please let me know and I can redo it.
-brian
---
I ran across this bug while chasing something else. I’m not conversant enough with the java build process to fix it :/.

My setup

Conf:
MACHINE=qemux86-64
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/java-initial-native = "jamvm-initial-native"
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/java-native = "jamvm-native"

bblayers included:
poky/meta
poky/meta-poky
poky/meta-yocto-bsp
meta-openembedded/meta-oe
meta-java

build-host ubuntu:16.04 based container running on an ubuntu 16.04 host.

bitbake openjre-8

If I set PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/java-initial-native = "jamvm-initial-native"
results in:
ERROR: Task (/home/bavery/work/javaSState-11732/meta-java/recipes-core/classpath/classpath-native_0.99.bb:do_configure) failed with exit code '1'

Digging a tad deeper what seems to be failing is in the configure for /classpath-native when the initial compiler is run:

<Running JamVM-initial: -Xmx512m -Djdt.compiler.useSingleThread=true -cp /home/bavery/work/javaSState-11732/build-sstate/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/classpath-native/0.99-r6.0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/share/java/ecj-bootstrap.jar org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.batch.Main --version>
bootclasspath is empty!

And if I build jamvm-initial-native on a build machine that has java installed on it already (from eclipse in my case), then jamvm-initial-native works fine.

If I set PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/java-initial-native = "cacao-initial-native"
cacao-initial-native works fine regardless of the presence of host side java.

Since Henry has been able to find an issue where the ubuntu container gives a different error when run on a fedora host, I’m attaching the host uname and lsmod list from the build host that has the above behaviour.
Build host uname –a
Linux echidna 4.4.0-72-generic #93-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 31 14:07:41 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
lsmod list attached.