[oe] Submitted layers: build errors not seen on manual bitbake

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Sat Mar 18 01:20:36 UTC 2017

On 2017-03-18 00:58, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing build errors for layers I've submitted that I don't see with
> a manual bitbake.  What do I need to do solves the following:
>
> raceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/opt/workdir/bitbake/lib/bb/cookerdata.py", line 274, in parseBaseConfiguration
>     bb.event.fire(bb.event.ConfigParsed(), self.data)
>   File "/opt/workdir/bitbake/lib/bb/event.py", line 211, in fire
>     fire_class_handlers(event, d)
>   File "/opt/workdir/bitbake/lib/bb/event.py", line 134, in fire_class_handlers
>     execute_handler(name, handler, event, d)
>   File "/opt/workdir/bitbake/lib/bb/event.py", line 106, in execute_handler
>     ret = handler(event)
>   File "/opt/workdir/git___git_openembedded_org_openembedded-core/meta/classes/base.bbclass", line 242, in base_eventhandler
>     setup_hosttools_dir(d.expand('${TMPDIR}/hosttools'), 'HOSTTOOLS', d)
>   File "/opt/workdir/git___git_openembedded_org_openembedded-core/meta/classes/base.bbclass", line 139, in setup_hosttools_dir
>     bb.fatal("The following required tools (as specified by HOSTTOOLS) appear to be unavailable in PATH, please install them in order to proceed:\n  %s" % " ".join(notfound))
>   File "/opt/workdir/bitbake/lib/bb/__init__.py", line 104, in fatal
>     raise BBHandledException()
> bb.BBHandledException
>
> During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "update_layer.py", line 716, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "update_layer.py", line 216, in main
>     (tinfoil, tempdir) = recipeparse.init_parser(settings, branch, bitbakepath, nocheckout=options.nocheckout, logger=logger)
>   File "/opt/layerindex/layerindex/recipeparse.py", line 75, in init_parser
>     tinfoil = utils.setup_tinfoil(bitbakepath, enable_tracking)
>   File "/opt/layerindex/layerindex/utils.py", line 144, in setup_tinfoil
>     tinfoil.prepare(config_only = True)
>   File "/opt/workdir/bitbake/lib/bb/tinfoil.py", line 210, in prepare
>     extrafeatures)
>   File "/opt/workdir/bitbake/lib/bb/main.py", line 517, in setup_bitbake
>     server = start_server(servermodule, configParams, configuration, featureset)
>   File "/opt/workdir/bitbake/lib/bb/main.py", line 357, in start_server
>     cooker = bb.cooker.BBCooker(configuration, features)
>   File "/opt/workdir/bitbake/lib/bb/cooker.py", line 195, in __init__
>     self.initConfigurationData()
>   File "/opt/workdir/bitbake/lib/bb/cooker.py", line 358, in initConfigurationData
>     self.databuilder.parseBaseConfiguration()
>   File "/opt/workdir/bitbake/lib/bb/cookerdata.py", line 299, in parseBaseConfiguration
>     raise bb.BBHandledException
> bb.BBHandledException
> ERROR: The following required tools (as specified by HOSTTOOLS) appear to be unavailable in PATH, please install them in order to proceed:
>   cpio chrpath gawk diffstat makeinfo

This one is pretty obvious - the OE-core metadata now checks for
a set of required tools (beyond the initial sanity check).  Your
machine (or background user that you are using for building these
layers) doesn't have access to them.  You'll need to install that
set of tools, namely:
   cpio chrpath gawk diffstat makeinfo