[oe] [yocto] [Openembedded-architecture] [RFC] stable branch naming scheme

akuster808 akuster808 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 18:14:27 UTC 2017

On 11/06/2017 08:43 AM, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2017 at 09:20:43AM -0700, akuster808 wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The problem I hope to solve is that a Maintainer can stage changes in
>> any branch in the contrib repos making it difficult for folks to track
>> their back port requests. The also makes it harder to automate any kind
>> of build automation.
>>
>> I would like to propose a contrib naming scheme for the stable release
>> branches. I am thinking of the following:
>>
>> stable/{version}-next or {special char}_stable/{version}-next.
>>
>>    "version" is either the code name or numeric like in bitbake.
>>
>>    "special char" would be used to have these branches at the top of th
>> list, if we wont that.
> I like this branch unification!
>
> I know we discussed this at OEDEM and there was some convenience reason given,
> but can we also standardize on the tree? I.e. openembedded-core-contrib vs.
> poky-contrib?

The current Poky maintenance process talks about deconstructing
"stable-next":
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Stable_branch_maintenance#Stable_branch_maintainers

# Split out any bitbake changes and send them to the bitbake-devel mailing
list (marking them with the appropriate stable version in the subject
line e.g. [1.20])
# Split out OE-Core changes and create an openembedded-core-contrib branch
containing them; send the cover letter only (marking it as such in the
subject) to the openembedded-core mailing list.
The above has been happening via  a script Richard runs.  I personally
think it the workflow should be for OE -> Yocto. This does add more work
for the maintainer but is cleaner.  I did ask Richard to create
bitbake-contrib for this purpose but am lazy as he uses his script ; )

The reason I choose "stable/" branching is that the "-next" branches are
out of sync and not being used correctly or not defined on their
purpose. another subject for another time.

- armin