[oe] Use of github /archive/ tarballs in SRC_URI

Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez clopez at igalia.com
Tue Sep 19 14:34:22 UTC 2017

On 19/09/17 10:09, Burton, Ross wrote:
> Then the tarball for one of Erlang's repositories changed, and was noticed
> by the checksum in the recipe (thanks Gunnar Andersson for reporting
> this).  The extracted contents are identical, but the tarball itself has
> changed.  I'm presuming this is due to the old tarball expiring in their
> cache, and a newly generated tarball using a later version of tar.

I don't think tar is the one to blame, but gzip.
I have just tested GNU tar (versions 1.29 and 1.26) and BSD tar (from
OpenBSD 5.8) and the 3 have produced identical archives (same md5sum)
when invoked like git archive does.

However, the .tar.gz file generated was different in the case of BSD.
It even had a different file size.

I bet that if you uncompress both files, the .tar will have the same
checksum in both cases.

I guess that a different version (or implementation) of gzip, or even
different local settings like forcing a more or less aggressive
compression can be the explanation here.

Maybe an idea is that OE could gain a feature to optionally do a
checksum of the .tar file once uncompressed that could be used as a
fallback second check if the first one fails?
If the first one fails but the second one passes a non-fatal WARN could
be issued.