[oe] [meta-java] openjdk vs openjre recipe history

Richard Leitner richard.leitner at skidata.com
Mon Aug 6 10:38:13 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 08/04/2018 12:01 PM, André Draszik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know why there are openjdk & openjre recipes, rather than just
> one recipe creating mulitple runtime packages?

I guess you are talking about openjdk/jre 8, as openjdk and jre 7 are within
one recipe.

The initial openjdk-8 commit bac3b9acee5110390d15d38dacdb1622e31b2238 was
done by Jens, so maybe he could provide some more details?

In his commit message it sounds like he intended to do separate recipes
because of a stripped openjre-8 and avoiding cherry-picking files...

commit bac3b9acee5110390d15d38dacdb1622e31b2238
Author: Jens Rehsack <rehsack at gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Dec 8 14:52:51 2015 +0100

    openjdk-8: add recipes for openjdk-8 and openjre-8

    This adds openjdk-8 for native and target builds and allows a stripped
    openjre-8 being built as well instead of trying to cherry-pick jre
    components from jdk-image.

    The recipes allow building openjdk-8 with or without:
    * x11
    * cups
    * alsa/pulseaudio
    and let packager enable unlimited-crypto, if desired.

    To support certificate based java libraries, cacerts is created based on
    ca-certificates from OE-core.

    Since there can be only one PROVIDES for virtual/java-native and virtual/javac-native,
    move the provides to openjdk-8-native (I think everyone agrees it's a better
    choice than ecj-bootstrap-native).

    Plus: Applying a fix from openjdk-9 repository which fixes build issues using gcc5