[oe] Yocto and OpenJDK

Dave Buchwald dbuchwald at protedyne.com
Mon Dec 3 21:37:36 UTC 2018

I have a question about Java versions for Yocto. As we know, starting in January 2019, Oracle will
basically start crapping on the open source licensing availability for the JDK and will start charging for
updates starting with JDK11.  I build software and hardware using Yocto-built images for the imx7 using
Java and various Java-based technologies.

-        Will the Yocto project go to newer versions of OpenJDK? 9, 10, 11?

-        How will the Yocto project and meta-java go forward due to Oracle's actions?

-        Will newer versions be tied to newer BSP's?

thanks,
Dave Buchwald
Protedyne Corp.
Windsor, CT