[oe] Splitting meta-oe?

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Tue Feb 20 10:45:15 UTC 2018

Hi,

Is now a good time to talk about splitting up meta-oe?  Some layers are
actively developed and maintained (one example: meta-python), others are
basically bitrotting and only get touched when something else causes them
to break world builds (one example: meta-gnome).  I've long felt that
meta-oe should be split up and the high quality layers managed in their own
repositories so patches to them don't get held up by breakage in other
sub-layers.

Another advantage of splitting out the high quality layers is that we'd
like to look at running more community layers through the Yocto
autobuilder, and granular layers make that easier to manage.

Comments?

Ross