[oe] Splitting meta-oe?

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 19:15:29 UTC 2018

On 2/20/18 10:52 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-02-20 at 10:40 -0800, Khem Raj wrote:
>> On 2/20/18 10:00 AM, Tim Orling wrote:
>>> I am open to discussion about what direction we go. Individual
>>> layers that
>>> are curated and built together by YP auto builders sounds like an
>>> intriguing path. If this was coupled with increased ptest or
>>> testimage
>>> usage, our confidence in layer quality would go up dramatically.
>>>
>> I would like to understand whats stopping YP autobuilders to build
>> layers under meta-openembedded repo and contribute changes as needed.
>> All changes with test improvements etc. above are a good change and
>> should be adopted across layers. However splitting layers is least of
>> the problem as of now.
>
> The Yocto Project cannot commit to building everything in the meta-oe
> repository. There are some specific layers we would consider building
> but right now I think there are inter-dependencies that cause problems.

1 is better than zero so go for it :) As you see fit, send patches to
subsume the dependencies into other layers and make it meta-oe layer
free, this seems a good step forward

> Sure, we can look into those and try and fix them in some way and that
> would be one less hurdle. I do appreciate we have autobuilder issues
> right now which also causes us problems, I've already committed to
> working through those.
>
> Even once we do that, we (as in YP) can't send out a clear message
> about what we're testing and users will clone meta-oe and expect
> everything to work. So right now I do have problems trying to get to a
> point where YP can use meta-oe effectively.

poky is a different git repo and it has its own way of subsuming subset
of oe layers ( oe-core bitbake meta-poky ..),  meta-oe is just another
one to deal with fhere. it seems more like a distro problem here to me.

> I could combo-layer pieces of meta-oe into poky but I'd imagine that
> would create more problems than it would solve too and given the
> general dislike of combo-layer, I think ultimately better layer tooling
> would be a better answer and more acceptable to everyone.

I think monolithic nature of poky repo is your problem here. if it was
using layers independently it would have been better.