[oe] Splitting meta-oe?

Joe MacDonald Joe_MacDonald at mentor.com
Wed Feb 21 13:45:09 UTC 2018

[Re: [oe] Splitting meta-oe?] On 18.02.21 (Wed 09:49) Martin Jansa wrote:

> > I need an updated python-<foo> package for an unrelated package
>
> And how far will you go?
>
> If you want just newer python-<foo> and nothing else, will you take other
> changes to other python-* recipes from meta-python layer? There is a lot of
> recipes there, if you're so picky about updates, then you shouldn't update
> whole oe-core as well.

It seems like this part is already settled, but it would seem to me that
this scenario, if I understand it correctly, is "I'm using oe-core and
see up-stream meta-oe/meta-somethingorother has an updated or new recipe
for something I want in my image but I don't want to do a pull on all of
meta-oe and potentially cause a huge rebuild of stuff I don't really
care about".

That sounds like a problem better solved with 'git branch', 'git fetch'
and 'git cherry-pick' on the developer's side than breaking up meta-oe
across existing meta-boundaries.

-J.