[oe] Splitting meta-oe?

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed Feb 21 13:57:32 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 09:10:25PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 9:07 PM, Otavio Salvador
> <otavio at ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 3:52 PM, Richard Purdie
> > <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> >> I could combo-layer pieces of meta-oe into poky but I'd imagine that
> >> would create more problems than it would solve too and given the
> >> general dislike of combo-layer, I think ultimately better layer tooling
> >> would be a better answer and more acceptable to everyone.
> >
> > Poky creates more problems then it solves
>
> ... send was too soon ...
>
> Poky creates more problems then it solves.
>
>  - it causes confusion
>  - it avoids the urgency in adopting a setup script
>  - it does not use the layers as we market as being a good thing
>
> So adding more things to it, just makes it worse.
>
> The setup script is more urgent to be discussed then splitting meta-oe.

I agree that a setup script of some sort (off the top of my head,
something that takes layer-names as input, checks vs a list,
fetches/clones, creates a wrapper around bitbake-layers to always add
them) should be a high priority.  I don't have a problem telling my
customers to clone meta-openembedded and then use the layers that are
needed in that specific project.  But it's painful to have a shell
for-loop in the docs we provide so they can setup a build.

--
Tom