[oe] Splitting meta-oe?

Otavio Salvador otavio.salvador at ossystems.com.br
Wed Feb 21 13:59:20 UTC 2018

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:55 AM, Bruce Ashfield
<bruce.ashfield at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> And how far will you go?
>>>
>>> If you want just newer python-<foo> and nothing else, will you take other
>>> changes to other python-* recipes from meta-python layer? There is a lot of
>>> recipes there, if you're so picky about updates, then you shouldn't update
>>> whole oe-core as well.
>>
>> It seems like this part is already settled, but it would seem to me that
>> this scenario, if I understand it correctly, is "I'm using oe-core and
>> see up-stream meta-oe/meta-somethingorother has an updated or new recipe
>> for something I want in my image but I don't want to do a pull on all of
>> meta-oe and potentially cause a huge rebuild of stuff I don't really
>> care about".
>>
>> That sounds like a problem better solved with 'git branch', 'git fetch'
>> and 'git cherry-pick' on the developer's side than breaking up meta-oe
>> across existing meta-boundaries.
>
> Agreed. I was just probing to see if anyone had ideas on how that could
> be managed by infrastructure, versus me mucking about.
>
> Maybe RP's thoughts on layer tooling or setup possibilities would help,
> but either way, I'll keep chugging along :D

I think this is a valid thing to discuss but not in this thread (as
well as for tooling and etc.).

Here I think we ought to focus in:

 Should we split meta-oe?

My vote is no! Yocto Project as a whole would benefit of people inside
of Yocto Project QA sending fixes for parse errors introduced by their
changes in OE-Core  and so I'd prefer to keep it as is.