[oe] [OE-core] MS Windows machine?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Jan 4 14:39:54 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-01-04 at 07:31 +0100, Steffen Sledz wrote:
> On 21.12.2017 14:00, Steffen Sledz wrote:
> >
> > On 21.12.2017 12:39, Burton, Ross wrote:
> > >
> > > If you want to build for a Windows target then that should be
> > > possible but
> > > nobody as far as I'm aware has made the work public.  meta-mingw
> > > will
> > > contain most of the changes needed as that does build Windows
> > > binaries.
> > That's exactly what we like to to.
> >
> > So has anyone tried this before?
> >
> > What else would be needed to build e.g. for MACHINE=i686-mingw32?
> Is someone able to create a machine definition for this? I'm not
> really familiar with this job.

In basic terms, you need a machine which:

* Sets TARGET_ARCH to the right thing (i686 or x86_64)
* Sets TARGET_OS to mingw32

and then some distro config which sets up the toolchain when mingw is
the target os to the values like meta-mingw/conf/machine-sdk/i686-
mingw32.conf sets.

You'd need need to look through the bbappends which are in meta-mingw
and add them to the appropriate pieces you need for target binaries
rather than sdk binaries.

I did once do this for darwin so it is possible, I've never tried it
for windows though.

Cheers,

Richard