[oe] [meta-java] maintainer status

Maxin B. John maxin.john at intel.com
Mon Jun 11 11:30:35 UTC 2018

Hi Richard,

Sorry for my long silence here in the list ( was away due to a personal loss).

On Thu, Jun 07, 2018 at 04:32:36PM +0200, prvs=68935beb6=Richard.Leitner at skidata.com wrote:
> On 06/07/2018 03:56 PM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 10:53 AM, Richard Leitner
> > <richard.leitner at skidata.com> wrote:
> >> As I'm using this layer now for quite a few years I'll be glad to help you with
> >> the maintainership of meta-java. Nonetheless I have to admit that I have no
> >> experience in maintaining an openembedded layer ;-)
> >> Therefore if you're still interested I'd have some questions regarding the
> >> "strategic" targets, workflows and stuff like that...
> >
> > Awesome, new energy!

Great !

> > Sure, go ahead and ask :-D
> >

> Thanks :-)
>
> So here are some question that currently came to my mind:
>
>  * do you use some kind of patch management software (like patchwork)?

meta-java doesn't use patchwork till now.

>  * are there any "quality gate tests" for patches being applied to master or stable branches?

At the moment, we dont have enough tests in meta-java (It will be good to have more selftests). Moving
from manual build/testing to a Jenkins based automated one was briefly tested in a personal setup.

>  * is there something like a build/test robot for patches and/or branches?
Not yet. Tested a travis based setup in github. Testing wasn't successful due to the resource restrictions
(mainly storage) there.

>  * should we use the master-next branch for staging new patches?

Preferably - yes.

>  * is there a reason for not having OpenJDK >8 recipes?

Nothing that I can remember :)

>  * if the above is answered with something like "because nobody submitted them": Should we try to follow the current OpenJDK release model (a feature release every six month)?

+1, That will be nice.

>  * based on what scheduling are the stable branches created? Yocto Project release dates I guess?

Yes.

>  * what kind of patches should be applied/backported to the stable branches?

Depends. Mostly security based patches and others, based on urgency/demand.

> I think that's all for now (but presumably some more question will follow during the next weeks) ;-)
>
> regards;Richard.L

Best Regards,
Maxin