[oe] Splitting meta-oe?

akuster808 akuster808 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 01:17:47 UTC 2018

On 02/28/2018 09:17 AM, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On 02/20/2018 12:45 PM, Burton, Ross wrote:
>> Is now a good time to talk about splitting up meta-oe?  Some layers are
>> actively developed and maintained (one example: meta-python), others are
>> basically bitrotting and only get touched when something else causes
>> them
>> to break world builds (one example: meta-gnome).  I've long felt that
>> meta-oe should be split up and the high quality layers managed in
>> their own
>> repositories so patches to them don't get held up by breakage in other
>> sub-layers.
>>
>> Another advantage of splitting out the high quality layers is that we'd
>> like to look at running more community layers through the Yocto
>> autobuilder, and granular layers make that easier to manage.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> I just read the whole discussion (been on holiday), and while it seems
> that splitting layers is seen as too heavy-handed, there is still
> something that I believe should be done: a policy for blacklisting and
> removing unmaintained recipes. Such a policy should be:
>
> a) clearly defined;
> b) consistently applied.

Thank for the input. Its more of a mater of someone willing to sit down
and documenting it. Having that said, people tend not to follow process
or even read them. I thought Martin sent out an email regarding this
Blacklisting process.

> If that is in place, I, as an oe-core maintainer, would be a lot more
> willing to contribute to meta-oe, knowing that recipes I contribute to
> (for example by fixing issues caused by changes in oe-core) are, in
> fact, used and taken care of otherwise. However, me endlessly fixing
> well obsolete gnome2 stuff is just a fast track to not caring anymore.

We had/have a situation with the Yocto 4.12 kernel that broke wireguard
in meta-networking. Their are two patches that don't exist in K.O. which
are causing the problem.
Meta-openembedded can't fix that, do I blacklist wireguard? Wireguard
builds fine with K.O 4.12.

We are at the mercy of oe-core; kernel, toolchain and other core
changes. Most of the failures now are do to the 4.15 kernel update.

> So, which recipes are unmaintained?
>
> 1. Badly out of date compared to upstream development. Say, one year
> or more between version provided by meta-oe master, and latest version
> released by upstream.
> 2. Recipes which fail to build, and the situation hasn't been
> addressed, in, say, six months.
>
> Once either of these is established, the recipe enters a grace period
> before it is removed. Any objection to such removal should come with a
> patch that addresses the reason for it.

Thanks for your input.

regards,
Armin