[oe] [meta-xvisor] [Status] Generation of x86-64 XVisor-only (no guests) hd images is working

Daniel F. Dickinson cshored at thecshore.com
Thu May 10 18:18:41 UTC 2018

Hi all,

FYI, I now have meta-xvisor successfully going from scratch to a fully
built OE cross compiling toolchain and an ext4 disk image with syslinux
which uses the mboot.c32 to use multiboot to boot the XVisor hypervisor.

I'll write up the docs for things so far sometime soon (I hope).

The next step after that (not sure when though) is to make sure the eSDK
is able to build XVisor images, since most folks won't be interested in
developing meta-xvisor, but XVisor itself.  Using the eSDK it ought to
be possible to rebuild Xvisor and create new images quite quickly
compared to building the toolchain from scratch.  (It takes about an
hour on an 8 core i7 running Qubes (Xen), in a VM), and document that to
make Xvisor development easier on a wider range of distros.

After that I'll work on figuring out multiconfig to see if we can build
multiple guest images at the same time as Xvisor (and/or using the eSDK
to add them later).

My question is regarding QEMU and direct multiboot boot of XVisor - I
couldn't seem to get that working.  Do you know if it's possible, and if
not, where is the issue (qemu/xvisor/both)?

Regards,

Daniel