[oe] [OE-core] [RFT] GCC 8.1

Andre McCurdy armccurdy at gmail.com
Thu May 10 23:11:00 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 3:50 PM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 03:40:53PM -0700, Andre McCurdy wrote:
>> On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 3:38 PM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > see
>> > http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2018-May/150654.html
>>
>> Removing -fno-omit-frame-pointer isn't the same as adding
>> -fomit-frame-pointer. Frame pointers may get enabled depending on the
>> optimisation level etc (ie not only by -fno-omit-frame-pointer).
>
> Should I send v2 adding -fomit-frame-pointer instead of removing
> -fno-omit-frame-pointer?
>
> The v1 fixes the issue for me with default config + DEBUG_BUILD.

The v1 patch isn't wrong, it's just incomplete (the problem could come
back if someone changes optimisation level or switches gcc to clang,
etc).

My choice would be a v2 patch which adds -fomit-frame-pointer to
CFLAGS unconditionally for all ARM builds when Thumb is enabled. That
should fix the problem for all optimisation levels etc and avoids
building the main strace binary differently depending on whether or
not ptest is enabled.