[oe] ANNOUNCEMENT: meta-python2 has been created

akuster808 akuster808 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 21:49:08 UTC 2019

Tim,

On 12/2/19 7:56 AM, Tim Orling wrote:
> Why?
> ====
> With the pending EOL (end-of-life) of Python 2 in a month [1], it is time
> to move python2 recipes to a new home. For that reason, meta-python2 [2]
> has been created as the home for legacy python2 recipes.

Thanks for putting in the time to get this sorted out.

> How?
> ====
> It was a design goal to keep the original history of meta-python, but only
> the python2 parts. In order to accomplish this git-filter-repo was used
> [3]. The exact steps used can be seen in a gist [4]. After that script was
> run, manual merging of *.inc and *.bb files was performed to make recipe
> maintenance with AUH (auto upgrade helper) and devtool easier. Since this
> layer does not have to support two python versions, the reason for the *.bb
> and *.inc split has been eliminated. Commits that upgraded recipes to
> python2-incompatible versions were reverted. Changes to make the recipes
> build and ptests be runnable were also made (to master branch). The stable
> branches were also kept, to make it easier to refer back to prior history
> and allow developers to use meta-python2 only in their workflow. NOTE: The
> stable branches may require work to make them usable, this was outside the
> scope of the immediate effort.

Should we have a separate patch work for this layer?

If the normal Stable branch format is used for patches, it should be
easy to sort out so we can see how it goes and make adjustments as we go.

The volume for stable meta-python patches tends to be low so I don't
mind sorting things out from master to zeus between the two branches.

- armin