[oe] ANNOUNCEMENT: meta-python2 has been created

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 11:26:44 UTC 2019

On Mon, Dec 02, 2019 at 08:10:17PM -0800, Tim Orling wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 8:07 AM Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks
> >
> > It would be nice to delete all branches except master. Only master branch
> > makes sense now for meta-python2, right?
> >
> > " The stable branches were also kept, to make it easier to refer back to
> prior history
> and allow developers to use meta-python2 only in their workflow."
>
> I can see use cases where a developer may want to replace meta-python with
> meta-python2 and still be on a "stable" release. It also makes reviewing
> what existed in which release much easier with cgit or git log --oneline,
> which I do VERY frequently. If this is contentious then the OE-TSC will
> make the decision.

But python2 is still in oe-core zeus and older so it should continue to
be maintained there, right?

Why should people add meta-python2 to zeus (or older) builds? If there
are more security updates to python2 or any other recipes, then they
should still land in oe-core or meta-oe/meta-python as well and
maintaining the duplicates in meta-python2 seems unnecessary overhead.

My understanding was that meta-python2 is just to help transition from
oe-core/master when the python2 is dropped there.

Regards,