[oe] [thud, warrior, zeus][meta-python] Conundrum: python-pycrypto and python-pycryptodome

Tim Orling ticotimo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 14:33:15 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 4:39 AM Adrian Bunk <bunk at stusta.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 04, 2019 at 09:00:20PM -0800, Tim Orling wrote:
> > python-pycrypto [1] is rather old and un-maintained [2].
> > python-pycryptodome [3] is more modern and is basically a drop in
> > replacement. However, the two cannot be installed at the same time.
> > Instead, one would install python-pycryptodomex which does not conflict
> > with the paths of python-pycrypto [4].
> >
> > In an effort to enable packagegroup-meta-python [5] and meta-python-image
> > [6], one runs into the existing python-pycrypto and python-pycryptodome
> > recipes attempting to install the same files to the same locations (no
> > surprise, they are providing the same libraries).
> >
> > For the stable branches, should we rename python-pycryptodome to
> > python-cryptodomex and PROVIDES python-pycryptodome?
>
> The minimal change for stable branches would be to add RCONFLICTS
> on python{,3}-pycryptodome to python{,3}-pycrypto.

this is only a python 2 issue.

> In a stable branch changing what users get installed is not really
> worth it for a tiny bit of improved testing coverage.

on the stable branches, packagegroup-meta-python and meta-python-image
would still be broken, now with a warning that x conflicts with y.

To be clear, the packagegroup and image have been broken for the stable
branches for some time now.

> Based on what you wrote, for master the best solution will likely
> include removing python{,3}-pycrypto.

python-pycrypto is python 2 only and will thus be dropped from master. The
conflict has already been fixed on meta-python2 by adding
python-cryptodomex and fixing packages that depended upon python-cryptodome

https://git.openembedded.org/meta-python2/commit/?id=18615f47dbbd109bc2350b86e078da93d066e5e5