[oe] Adding recipes to former meta-openembedded releases

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Thu May 23 22:57:47 UTC 2019

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 12:09:57AM +0200, Stanislav Angelovič wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to send a PR introducing a new recipe for sdbus-c++ library to
> meta-openembedded master. I'd also like to support previous releases -
> sumo, thud, warrior, where the recipe differs a little bit from current
> master version. Is it possible to send PR back-porting to branches
> representing those releases, or is the recommended practice to clone
> open-embedded and provide the recipes there on my own?

New recipes usually aren't added to released stable branches.

Providing the recipes on your own is reasonable approach, to keep it a
bit more organized you can use something like we do in webOS to have
separate layers for recipes/bbclasses backported from newer releases,
big advantage is that once you're ready to upgrade to newer release you
can just drop this whole layer from your builds and nothing should went
missing (instead of searching our layers for recipes which were
backported from somewhere).

See example in:
https://github.com/webosose/meta-webosose/tree/bf7f8d8a01a16b54f141c0a3441005a5b3ce4507/meta-webos-backports

Regards,