[oe] systemd failing in master with Assertion clock_gettime(map_clock_id(clock_id), &ts) failed

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 00:22:19 UTC 2020

On 1/23/20 4:13 PM, Alex Kiernan wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 10:09 AM Andreas Müller <schnitzeltony at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 10:43 AM Alex Kiernan <alex.kiernan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On the offchance someone's tripped over this already/has pointers:
>>>
>>> Around the time python2 dropped out, I'm now seeing boot failures with:
>>>
>>> [  612.151548] systemd-journald[543]: Assertion
>>> 'clock_gettime(map_clock_id(clock_id), &ts) == 0' failed at
>>> src/basic/time-util.c:55, function now(). Aborting.
>>>
>>> I suspect it's unrelated to py2, but that's delayed me getting to the problem.
>>>
>>> The board I'm targetting is AM335x based, but without an RTC (which I
>>> suspect may be relevant).
>>>
>>> Anyone seen anything similar?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alex Kiernan
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> Have not seen that one yet. Will look for it once I can build images
>> in current environment (python2/Qt5.14 broke loads for me). What I
>> have seen were problems with timedatectl <-> ntp. Changing from local
>> time to ntp-sync did not work: Time remained un-synced on recent
>> images. Machine was Raspi so no RTC either.
>>
>> Don't know if this is related to your finding...
>>

> Looks like it's related to the glibc bump - reverting that changeset
> gets it booting again. I struggle to figure out which of the myriad
> wrappers are actually being used from inspecting the glibc source, but
> if it's the one I think it is, there's clearly
> clock_gettime/clock_gettime64 changes there which I doubt my kernel
> has (we're currently using the TI 4.19.y kernel).

Is it possible for you to try 5.x for tests ? I know there were 64bit
time_t related errors I saw with 4.19/rpi3-32bit but it was with musl,
since musl enabled 64bit time_t by default, that might be different
issue too

Try applying [1] to glibc as well, currrently, its only applied to musl
case, perhaps that might help.

[1]
https://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/recipes-core/systemd/systemd/0022-Use-INT_MAX-instead-of-TIME_T_MAX-for-timerfd_settim.patch