[oe] [OE-core] python2-less meta-openembedded build results

Andreas Müller schnitzeltony at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 18:01:39 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 5:54 PM Andrey Zhizhikin <andrey.z at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 4:24 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Awesome, thanks for the help!
>
> No probs!
>
> I've actually looked into the list and would have couple of
> components, which are sort-of "python2-only":
> - dnssec-conf: did not receive any update since 9(!) years, written
> totally in python2. Should this be bumped up of bumped out of
> [oe-core]?
> - mozjs: this one pulls the most of dependencies and produces the most
> of errors. It's version is also quite old (60.9.0esr), and there is a
> lot of python2-only code inside. Should this one be bumped out? Latest
> ESR version available upstream is
> 68.4.2esr [1], dated 01/20/2020
Problem with mozjs are

* some packages ask for certain versions of mozjs. That's why distros
have multiple versions.
* if I am not mistaken version 68 of mozjs asks for rust/cargo which
is (not yet) in a common layer

Am working on python3 port. Current situation: Configure is almost
done but after

| updating cache ./config.cache

I see no progress in log file / 100% on one CPU / memory is eaten up.
Had a similar situation in earlier stages but fixed that by endless
debug sessions and removing parts suggested in [1]

Long story short: Haven't lost hope to come up with a working python3
port but I cannot promise if I get there and when.

[1] https://code.foxkit.us/adelie/packages/blob/f2b5773da19ab397fbe64fd32dacc383cfe4cd77/user/mozjs/python3.patch

Andreas