[Openembedded-architecture] layers.openembedded.org - suggestion to remove obsolete layers

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Dec 1 22:20:45 UTC 2019

On 12/1/19 4:01 PM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 01, 2019 at 03:47:43PM -0600, Mark Hatle wrote:
>> After 18 months, the layer is clearly no longer being
>> maintained and will cause more confusion then actually helping people find
>> something useful.
>
> If it is not too much extra work, it would be useful if you could keep
> a non-default way to show master including obsolete layers.
>
> There are fringe usecases like "has anyone ever packaged this before".

There are ways to add comments within the Index itself.  However, there is no
way to do this for users of the index, such as:

bitbake-layers layerindex-fetch ....

I was doing this earlier and pulled in a couple of layers that clear do not
work, and haven't been updated in a long time..  So it's a real issue that I
think we need to address.

--Mark