[Openembedded-architecture] layers.openembedded.org - suggestion to remove obsolete layers

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Dec 4 19:43:56 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 5 December 2019 2:09:50 AM NZDT Tom Rini wrote:
> My concerns here are:
> - There's a lot of non-public projects out there not on "last 3" and
>   having older information is still useful.
> - As was already stated (but on my mind right now as I hop over to see
>   if anyone made recipes for X/Y/Z) being able to answer the question
>   of "a long time ago someone made a recipe for X" is useful.

Indeed, I can certainly see this as being useful. One thing that has been
discussed a long time ago (I think it was Martin's suggestion) is to make
recipes that only appear in older branches easier to find by showing them
when you do a recipe search in master - perhaps at the end of the normal
search results.

> So I would ask for more visual indicators that something is old rather
> than removing old things.

Yep, as long as we define what the criteria is (for setting flags either
manually or automatically) I think we can do that.

Cheers
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton