[bitbake-devel] PREFERRED_VERSION and wildcards

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 22:54:18 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:34:59PM +0100, Andreas Oberritter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried using wildcards, like it's done for gcc, e.g.:
>
> PREFERRED_VERSION_foo = "1.2%"
>
> Now, if I have two foo recipes, foo_1.2.1.bb and foo_1.2.3.bb, in the
> same directory, then Bitbake always chooses 1.2.1 instead of the one
> with the higher version number. Does bitbake always choose the first
> matching version it can find? Is this a general limitation of wildcards,
> or is this a problem that can get corrected? I'd expect it to choose the
> highest matching version.

If you want highest then why do you specify P_V at all? or are those
1.2% foo with e.g. negative D_P? or is there 1.3 you don't want?

It will use first provider which matches (in highest usable prio/D_P group).

    sortpkg_pn = sortPriorities(pn, dataCache, pkg_pn)
    # Find the highest priority provider with a PREFERRED_VERSION set
    (preferred_ver, preferred_file) = findPreferredProvider(pn, cfgData, dataCache, sortpkg_pn, item)
    # Find the latest version of the highest priority provider
    (latest, latest_f) = findLatestProvider(pn, cfgData, dataCache, sortpkg_pn[0])

    if preferred_file is None:
        preferred_file = latest_f
        preferred_ver = latest

It was added mostly to cover use case with e.g. 1.2+svnr1337 or 1.2+gitrCAFEBABE where
you don't care about exact revision, but you know that you want 1.2 from scm (and there
is just one which matches).

See this thread for details:
http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/bitbake-devel/2009-September/000458.html

Cheers,