[bitbake-devel] SDK install path and versioning

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Nov 1 11:35:19 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 08:50 +0100, Bue Petersen wrote:
> We are using bitbake + openembedded to build a custom linux platform
> with an image and a SDK for Qt development.
> I have some questions on how to achive some goals regarding automated
> testing. Really hope you can help.

Firstly, you'd probably get more help with questions like these on the
openembedded-core mailing list as these are questions about the
metadata, not the bitbake tool itself.

> 1) how can we "stamp" a version number in the image? I found
> IMAGE_BASENAME for changing the filename, but I would like also to
> leave some kind of version number that can be checked on the running
> system. What is best practice there?

Have a look at adding some kind of rootfs postinstall function e.g.:

ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND += "rootfs_update_timestamp ; "

(see image.bbclass and core-image.bbclass for examples of those)

> 2) Regarding the SDK I would like to install it on a custom path. The
> normal setup is system-wide on /usr/local/ as I can see. I need to be
> able to install several at different locations. Maybee even just in
> the workspace where we develop the Qt-application so I always know
> exactly which is used for the test. I found the SDKPATH and
> SDKNATIVEPATH to change this, but do we really need to set the exact
> path at build time?

This was a newly added feature in the recent danny release branch. The
SDK is now wrapped in a script which asks you for the location to
extract to so the binaries support relocation now. You need to use danny
or master to have this functionality available.

Cheers,

Richard