[bitbake-devel] SDK install path and versioning

Bue Petersen bue at praqma.net
Thu Nov 1 11:51:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 08:50 +0100, Bue Petersen wrote:
>> We are using bitbake + openembedded to build a custom linux platform
>> with an image and a SDK for Qt development.
>> I have some questions on how to achive some goals regarding automated
>> testing. Really hope you can help.
>
> Firstly, you'd probably get more help with questions like these on the
> openembedded-core mailing list as these are questions about the
> metadata, not the bitbake tool itself.

Thanks - I read that to in your archive, after I asked the question. I
will use the other list next time.

>> 1) how can we "stamp" a version number in the image? I found
>> IMAGE_BASENAME for changing the filename, but I would like also to
>> leave some kind of version number that can be checked on the running
>> system. What is best practice there?
>
> Have a look at adding some kind of rootfs postinstall function e.g.:
>
> ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND += "rootfs_update_timestamp ; "
>
> (see image.bbclass and core-image.bbclass for examples of those)
>
>> 2) Regarding the SDK I would like to install it on a custom path. The
>> normal setup is system-wide on /usr/local/ as I can see. I need to be
>> able to install several at different locations. Maybee even just in
>> the workspace where we develop the Qt-application so I always know
>> exactly which is used for the test. I found the SDKPATH and
>> SDKNATIVEPATH to change this, but do we really need to set the exact
>> path at build time?
>
> This was a newly added feature in the recent danny release branch. The
> SDK is now wrapped in a script which asks you for the location to
> extract to so the binaries support relocation now. You need to use danny
> or master to have this functionality available.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

Thanks for the pointers.
The SDK scripts sounds interesting ... I will immediately try it and
update our bitbake+opemembedded clones to latest.

Best regards,
Bue Petersen