[bitbake-devel] Using bitbake with older kernel revisions

Robert Yang liezhi.yang at windriver.com
Tue Nov 6 12:19:06 UTC 2012

On 11/06/2012 08:38 AM, Greg Perry wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Hopefully this is the right mailing list to ask this question, if not I
> apologize in advance and ask that you send me to the appropriate mailing
> list.

Hi Greg,

> I have a BeagleBone cross compile setup (ARM-based board), and I've
> successfully used the OE/bitbake process described at OpenEmbedded.org to
> setup of a cross compile toolchain, download source, and build an entire
> system plus software from scratch.
>
> However, the kernel revision used is several versions ahead of the patch
> branch that I want to integrate (3.2.28), as I want to integrate the
> Xenomai RTOS extensions which require kernel version 3.2.21.

You can set the PREFERRED_VERSION if there is already a recipe, for example,
there are the fllowing kernel recipes on the oe-core's master branch:

recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.0.bb
recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.2.bb
recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.4.bb

You can look into the recipe and check the variable LINUX_VERSION for the
accurate kernel version, unfortunately, I didn't find the version (3.2.21)
which you need, the most near one is recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.2.bb
which is 3.2.18, if this one works (just a suppose), you can set it as:

PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-yocto = "3.2"

in the .conf file, then bitbake will build linux-yocto_3.2.bb, rather than
linux-yocto_3.4.bb or linux-yocto_3.0.bb.

The setting is similar if you a 3.2.21 recipe.

// Robert