[bitbake-devel] BitBake & ClearCase

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue Nov 13 16:28:03 UTC 2012

On 11/13/12 8:28 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-11-13 at 12:35 +0100, news at christianvolk.net wrote:
>> Dear bitbake-developer-community,
>>
>> I just stumbled across a problem and knows of no other advice than to
>> write to you here:
>>
>> In my company we have to use bitbake in combination with ClearCase (CC).
>> Bitbake has some problems with the ClearCase-owned files called
>> ?.copyarea.db?.
>> Unfortunately, CC adds such a file to each directory which is under
>> source-control.
>> The file is read-only and so the task do_unpack fails with the
>> following error message:
>>
>> cp: cannot create regular file
>> `/home/[...]/testability-1.0-r0/./testability_src_gen/.copyarea.db':
>> Permission Denied
>
> I'm a little confused about what the real problem is here. cp should be
> able to cope with a file that is marked as read-only. Is this saying the
> target already exists and can't be written to? Or is it unable to read
> from the source? Is the source locked?

Are you attempting to build inside of a ClearCase location?  Or are you copying
from a ClearCase location within a recipe..  If it's the later, this is what
Richard is referring to, if it's the former..  It likely won't work well.
ClearCase has a number of issues with it's virtual filesystem that cause
problems during the build.

What we have recommended to our customers using clearcase, is to define an
alternative location for the 'tmp' directory that is outside of the clearcase
filesystem and somewhere local to the machine.

--Mark