[bitbake-devel] [OE-core] BitBake changes in the Yocto Project 1.5 cycle

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 17:17:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2013, Trevor Woerner wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Richard Purdie <rpurdie at rpsys.net>
wrote:
>> > This would then lead into the second proposal which is to add better
>> > support for new commands.
>>
>> It would be nice if there was a way to zero-in on an existing
>> environment variable. For example:
>>
>>     $ bitbake -e <image>
>>
>> produces a lot of information which I then have to parse in order to
>> figure out how a given environment variable is being set. It would be
>> nice if I could simply:
>>
>>     $ bitbake -e <image> <variable>
>>
>> and just get the pertinent parts.
>
>   i think bitbake-env would do this for you.
>
> rday

If I use bitbake-env I just get the current value:

    $ bitbake-env OE_TERMINAL
    OE_TERMINAL="screen"

but if I use "bitbake -e" I get a better pictures of why that variable is
what it is
(which I've found very useful):

    $ bitbake -e | less
    [...snip...]
    # $OE_TERMINAL [4 operations]
    #   set /home/trevor/devel/yocto/builds/fullbuild/conf/local.conf:23
    #     "screen"
    #   set?
/home/trevor/devel/yocto/git/poky/meta/classes/terminal.bbclass:1
    #     "auto"
    #   set
/home/trevor/devel/yocto/git/poky/meta/classes/terminal.bbclass:2
    #     [type] "choice"
    #   set
/home/trevor/devel/yocto/git/poky/meta/classes/terminal.bbclass:5
    #     [choices] "auto none                         ${@" ".join(o.name
                                  for o in oe.terminal.prioritized())}"
    # computed:
    #   "screen"