[bitbake-devel] Display mode

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue Jan 22 16:47:58 UTC 2013

On 1/22/13 10:37 AM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 1:20 AM, Trung Hoang <trungiee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The current git HEAD of bit bake nicely displays the x threads and what is happening on them instead of constantly scrolling in detail what is exactly happening.
>
> This feature is called "knotty".
>
>> Is this feature configurable? How do i enable it on older versions of bitbake? As the gumstix setup scripts check out a older version of bit bake and it displays reams and reams of info.
>
> Knotty was added this past... August (?) (or, perhaps it is more
> correct to say "it was made the default" this past August?). So making
> it work on older versions would require back-porting it to those
> versions.

"In general", newer versions of bitbake work with older systems.  There is one
main condition where this can be problematic however.  There was a period of
time where, in python functions, tabs were all converted to spaces.  So code is
in bitbake to check for this condition.

If you try to use a modern bitbake with an older system that still has tabs, you
can get failures.

Note, it does require testing to verify that the newer bitbake will work on an
older configuration, but it has in my experience.

--Mark