[bitbake-devel] Hello World example for BitBake Manual

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu May 30 17:11:56 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 29 May 2013 13:28:11 William M.A. Traynor wrote:
> In researching and trying to work through a Hello World example for
> inclusion in the BitBake Manual, I've been able to reproduce the
> examples described in the following thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/yocto@yoctoproject.org/msg09347.html

I think this example is generic enough for the documentation.

> and in the following blog post:
> http://hambedded.org/blog/2012/11/24/from-bitbake-hello-world-to-an-image/

This however, whilst it is a very detailed and well written explanation, goes
a bit further and is trying to put something together that's moving a bit
towards what OE does, as an aid to explain how OE works (e.g. the introduction
of an "autotools.bbclass"). I'm not sure this is really appropriate for the
Bitbake manual IMHO. You could draw inspiration from parts of it though.

> Does anyone have sufficient knowledge of each of these examples to
> comment whether they're "generic" enough for the manual?  I'm trying
> my best to keep content as generic as possible, but it's proving to be
> a struggle at times.
>
> Specifically, I'm finding that it's possible to be to generic, and
> thereby not adequately demonstrate the power of the tool.

I know, it can be tricky. If you have specific areas you'd like help on then
I'm more than happy to help though.

Cheers,
Paul

--