[bitbake-devel] about oe-init-build-env: Allow startup with and without memres

Jason Wessel jason.wessel at windriver.com
Fri Jan 3 14:42:35 UTC 2014

On 01/03/2014 08:19 AM, Jason Wessel wrote:
> On 01/03/2014 07:09 AM, Damian, Alexandru wrote:
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> I noticed that this patch *oe-init-build-env: Allow startup with and without memres* will kill any existing bitbake server when oe-init-build-env is started. I think this always happens since I see no way to source oe-init-build-env when BBSERVER is set.
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out a better solution, since simply stopping the server will leave toaster in an inconsistent state, if the server was started through toaster.
>>
>> Can you please tell me what behaviour are you trying to get out of the system ? Let's try to find something that will also work for Toaster.
>

> It seems to me there must be a corner case, which should be easy enough to fix.  If the BBSERVER is set, it should simply attach to the existing instance, assuming the instance is reachable.  There is some code that was added to validate the bitbake server instance is healthy or it will get shutdown.
>
> Do you have a step by step set of instructions to duplicate the behavior you are inquiring about or a bugzilla case I can take a peek at?

I took a look at the code, you asked about and I believe the fix is quite simple.

I had not noticed this environment variable change.  When all the logic for dealing with BBSERVER was moved into the bitbake startup sequence it is no longer needed.  In fact, a bit further down in the in same file there is a check to deal with not killing anything when BBSERVER is set, but if it was already purged by the prior code there in lies the problem.

See the attached patch.

Cheers,
Jason.