[bitbake-devel] Configuring Busybox's Kernel Commands

Chen, Simon (N-DCR SYSTEM HOUSE) simon.chen at lmco.com
Fri Mar 20 14:25:13 UTC 2015

Hello,

I am pretty new to the Yocto Project, and I am not sure if this mailing list fits my particular project goals. But since I am still waiting for subscription permission from other mailing lists, I'd thought I'd give this a shot.

I am using Yocto's Poky to build an OS for a custom board. On this embedded OS, I am trying to run an AMD GPU driver installer for the E8860 series card in which I am trying to integrate on my board. (This installer can be found here : http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux+x86). As expected, the installer is not fully configured for Yocto. The installer (.run file) generates two errors from calling the commands "tar" and "gzip", outputting an "invalid magic" error. I did some homework, and realized that Yocto's linux commands are not from GNU at all, and are GNU-like commands built by Busybox. So I've tried to reconfigure these commands from the pre-bitbake stage by editing the "defconfig" file at the meta/recipes-core/busybox/busybox directory. In defconfig, I've tried turning on a couple of parameters that were previously off (ie. CONFIG_FEATURE_TAR_OLDSUN_COMPATIBILITY=y, or CONFIG_FEATURE_TAR_LONG_OPTIONS=y). This did not work, after I bitbaked core-image-sato, booted the Yocto image on my board, and ran the installer. Perhaps I'm missing a step in configuring the GNU commands? Perhaps I'm turning on the wrong parameters? Is there a way to remove Busybox completely and replace it with the real GNU?

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

-Simon Chen