[bitbake-devel] Configuring Busybox's Kernel Commands

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Sat Mar 21 10:23:23 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-03-20 at 14:25 +0000, Chen, Simon (N-DCR SYSTEM HOUSE)
wrote:
> I am pretty new to the Yocto Project, and I am not sure if this
> mailing list fits my particular project goals. But since I am still
> waiting for subscription permission from other mailing lists, I’d
> thought I’d give this a shot.

This list is really for discussion about bitbake itself. One of the
Yocto lists would be more appropriate for this question.

> I am using Yocto’s Poky to build an OS for a custom board. On this
> embedded OS, I am trying to run an AMD GPU driver installer for the
> E8860 series card in which I am trying to integrate on my board. (This
> installer can be found here :
> http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux+x86). As
> expected, the installer is not fully configured for Yocto. The
> installer (.run file) generates two errors from calling the commands
> “tar” and “gzip”, outputting an “invalid magic” error. I did some
> homework, and realized that Yocto’s linux commands are not from GNU at
> all, and are GNU-like commands built by Busybox. So I’ve tried to
> reconfigure these commands from the pre-bitbake stage by editing the
> “defconfig” file at the meta/recipes-core/busybox/busybox directory.
> In defconfig, I’ve tried turning on a couple of parameters that were
> previously off (ie. CONFIG_FEATURE_TAR_OLDSUN_COMPATIBILITY=y, or
> CONFIG_FEATURE_TAR_LONG_OPTIONS=y). This did not work, after I
> bitbaked core-image-sato, booted the Yocto image on my board, and ran
> the installer. Perhaps I’m missing a step in configuring the GNU
> commands? Perhaps I’m turning on the wrong parameters? Is there a way
> to remove Busybox completely and replace it with the real GNU?

The easiest way to do this is simply to add tar into your image.
IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " tar" in local.conf would probably do this for
you (the space before tar is important).

Cheers,

Richard