[bitbake-devel] Releases of BitBake to package for Fedora?

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 03:53:12 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 10:48 PM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> Hi Neal,
>
> On Thursday, 9 November 2017 12:58:08 AM NZDT Neal Gompa wrote:
>> I'm looking reintroduce BitBake into Fedora, but it seems like there
>> hasn't been releases in two years. I also cannot identify anywhere
>> that provides tarballs of BitBake to package.
>>
>> The Fedora package previously referenced snapshot tarballs generated
>> by tagged releases in OE Git, but there haven't been new tagged
>> releases in two years.
>>
>> I'd previously asked this on oe-core ML and was redirected to
>> bitbake-devel, so apologies to cross-list subs. But it was also
>> pointed out there that apparently BitBake has moved to a model where
>> they don't have stable points of releases, which seems rather odd for
>> a tool that is used by more than OpenEmbedded.
>
> It's not that we don't have stable points - we do, it's that from the other
> side, each stable release of OE-Core is only tested with the corresponding
> stable release of BitBake, so if people start using BitBake from their distro
> we are probably going to have extra mismatch issues to deal with. We really
> ought to be tagging releases, not having done that is an oversight but it's
> reflective of the current typical usage.
>
> It would be nice to get some exposure of BitBake as a standalone tool, and
> having it packaged by distros might be one way to help that, but my concern
> for OE usage would be that when this has been done in the past we have had
> situations where BitBake from the distro has been older than needed by OE-Core
> and users end up having to fetch it themselves anyway, so we'd have to have a
> strategy for handling that.
>
> (This is not necessarily an official answer - I'd be interested to hear what
> RP and others have to say about it.)

For what it's worth, if you guys are regularly tagging BitBake, this
can be automatically tracked in Fedora infrastructure and I can update
BitBake relatively quickly after that.

Unlike most distributions, it's usually not a problem to update
relatively frequently in Fedora. But that doesn't mean you should
stress me out with tons of releases out the wazoo. :)