[bitbake-devel] Patch idea - fetcher for gerrit patches

Mikko.Rapeli at bmw.de Mikko.Rapeli at bmw.de
Mon Nov 11 07:58:20 UTC 2019

Hi,

Interesting idea.

We use gerrit but don't neeed to expose gerrit details to bitbake fetcher.

Instead, we use gerrit changes to fetch meta layer changes using a separate checkout
script. It handles gerrit topics, e.g. same topic name is used to bundle changes
from multiple meta layer git trees. This enables large transitions and updates as single
topic.

In our case it's a grave bug to use SRC_URIs in bitbake recipes without referring
to proper branch and commit id. There have been cases where a commit-id from an open
gerrit review got integrated which is bad, bad. I can only imagine that testing
could be easier if bitbake recipes were to support gerrit directly, e.g. to trigger
a bitbake test build for an open gerrit review change. But there are other ways
to script that without exposing gerrit details to bitbake.

So I'm not sure if this gerrit fetcher is easier. At least I would like to disable it,
or add a custom QA check which forbids its use in release build recipes.

Cheers,

-Mikko