[bitbake-devel] Patch idea - fetcher for gerrit patches

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 15:24:41 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-11-11 at 07:58 +0000, Mikko.Rapeli at bmw.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Interesting idea.
>
> We use gerrit but don't neeed to expose gerrit details to bitbake
> fetcher.
>
> Instead, we use gerrit changes to fetch meta layer changes using a
> separate checkout
> script. It handles gerrit topics, e.g. same topic name is used to
> bundle changes
> from multiple meta layer git trees. This enables large transitions
> and updates as single
> topic.

There is a similar setup we have for CI using gerrit, but once you
start playing with fetchers, bitbake is not happy and the build
consistency is jeopardized as well, e.g. new QA checks etc, come in way
in other words you have to maintain this additional CI fetch method and
it grows cruft. So I would think if we were to do some additional work
in fetchers to achieve this, that would be long term sustainable, and
perhaps useful for other gerrit users or other SCMs