[OE-core] Wiki seems dead. is openembedded wiki still active?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Aug 23 16:25:13 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 23 August 2011 10:59:42 Klausfpga wrote:
> Am I using the correct url? (it's at least the url also mentioned in
> wikipedia)
>
> Is the Wiki just temporarily down and I was just unlucky enough to try
> to connect at the wromg time?

Yes that's the correct link, although the website is temporarily down; the
appropriate people have apparently been informed and hopefully can fix it soon.

However the website/wiki can still be accessed under
http://wiki.openembedded.org.

> What I wanted to find out on the wiki:
>
> - what branch / tag to checkout to have a consitant verison

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.

FYI OE is in the middle of a transition of sorts; we're moving to a more
modular metadata structure based around a smaller common core (OE-Core). For
more information please see this page:

  http://wiki.openembedded.org/index.php/OpenEmbedded-Core

For new development work we would strongly recommend OE-core as a base,
allowing you greater flexibility as well as avoiding some legacy cruft.

> - what to use as starting point for a minimalist x86 system being able
> to run under qemu (x86)

"Minimalist" is somewhat subjective. OE-core alone provides a "qemux86"
machine target, a distro-less basic configuration and a "core-image-minimal"
image that provides a basic console-only system without package management.

> - How to add a gnu toolchain package to my minimalist target system

I think this is a case of adding "tools-sdk" to your IMAGE_FEATURES; someone
else might be able to offer more help here.

> - what to use as starting point for a minimalist arm11 system being able
> to run under qemu (x86)

Same as above except use "qemuarm" as the machine.

> - what is the recommended way to run bitbake in a 64 bit environment
> (psyco is not working). Is pypy an option?

There's no specific recommended way; the psyco warning was just a warning and
in any case if you're using a recent version of BitBake (as you need to for
OE-core) then Psyco support has been removed and you won't get the warning.

> - what are the correct mailing lists for such questions

For OE-classic discussion as well as layers above OE-core, use the
openembedded-devel mailing list. For OE-core use this list (openembedded-
core). I suspect the openembedded-core list will merge into openembedded-devel
at some point in the near future.

Cheers,
Paul

--