[OE-core] [RFC oe-core] mkcard: Add a script to parition and format an SD Card

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Aug 30 09:31:58 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 17:03 -0400, Jason Kridner wrote:

> >> The only issue is this script is used from within the IMAGE_CMD_sdimg
> >> code which lives in OE-core (meta/classes/image_types.
> >
> > classes shouldn't be calling external scripts
> >

> Is the right approach to add parameters to the IMAGE_CMD_sdimg class
> such that it can be used generically to produce SD card images,
> instead of trying to move this to meta-ti?  Should it perhaps be a bit
> closer to what is being done by the Linaro image tools [1]?
>
> [1] https://wiki.linaro.org/Source/ImageBuilding

I have heard multiple requests for making general SD card (or USB stick)
style images so I would love to see something generic. The script as it
stands looks like it has some issues due to requiring root access
(and/or special mounts).

There was a previous attempt at this in OE-Core:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/classes/boot-directdisk.bbclass

but this has some issues making assumptions about sector size that
caused problems. On the  plus side it demonstrated it was possible
without root...