[OE-core] [RFC oe-core] mkcard: Add a script to parition and format an SD Card

Joel A Fernandes agnel.joel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 21:08:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.thruhere.net> wrote:

> Op 30 aug. 2011, om 18:46 heeft Jason Kridner het volgende geschreven:

>>> Don't the Linaro scripts need to run on the target?
>>
>> No.
>>
>>> Does it fit well
>>> with OE(-core) ?
>>
>> I don't know, but I hoped that others would comment to help figure it
>> out.  I think it is a common challenge not just for ARM architectures.
>> I'm not sure if the approach is general enough or not, but it does go
>> beyond the BeagleBoard.
>>
>> My primary concerns about leaving it in the BSP are:
>> 1) that there is some room for non-BeagleBoard specific optimizations
>> to the card layout and
>> 2) there may be improvements to the tools that make it easier to
>> create images for systems with different boot requirements.
>>
>> Also, I think we might want to move to an ext3 partition only in the
>> future or other such layout optimizations.  I'd like that to be
>> something that can be parameterized by the BSP.
>
> I think you're missing the point:
>
> The *script* needs to go into the BSP, you are free to extend the bbclasses with code to deal with sd cards internally in OE-core.

I think there are 2 threads to this discussion. One talks about mkcard
script (which I think Koen is asking to move to BSP), and the other is
the IMAGE_CMD_sdimg variable from image_types.bbclass which holds the
code to create the image (which Jason is referring to).

I am dropping mkcard script as it requires root access (due to kparted
and device mapper), instead I'm just using loop and avoiding device
mapper.

As for the IMAGE_CMD_sdimg , I'm thinking a clean way is to extend
image_types.bbclass from within the BSP layer (which I think Koen also
is suggesting).

Maybe I'm just summarizing what everyone is saying, but just making
sure everyone is on the same page.

Thanks,
Joel