[OE-core] Coordinating inter-layer dependencies

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 13:13:37 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 01:02:38PM +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 10:59 -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:37, Richard Purdie
> > <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> >         On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 13:24 +0100, Martin Jansa wrote:
> >         > A while back I've proposed to make .bbappend without
> >         corresponding .bb
> >         > only big fat warning, but not fatal to parse. Now you cannot
> >         even build
> >         > eglibc if there is libdrm bbappend you don't care at all
> >         about..
> >

> >         You can do this by setting:
> >
> >         BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY

Good to know, thanks.

> > This is even worse; you end up with a package without the changes done
> > on the bbappend and as most bbappend files do not change PR, adding it
> > later won't force a package update.
>
> Which is why its off by default. My point is you can do with Martin is
> suggesting, its just not without its drawbacks.

I think the main advantage of this is that you're allowed to build stuff
which doesn't use those dangling appends. Ie start build of eglibc if
you know that nothing is bbappending to eglibc and to its dependency
tree. And when .bbaappends are fixed you can disable
BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY and build the rest.

But waiting for _all_ recipes in _all_ layers to get their .bbappends
right can sometimes a bit long..

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com