[OE-core] Change in "openembedded-core/meta/files/common-licenses/LGPL-2.0" breaks opie-image

Flanagan, Elizabeth elizabeth.flanagan at intel.com
Fri Dec 9 19:03:44 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 2:40 AM, Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
> wrote:

> On Friday 09 December 2011 11:30:40 Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> > I think someone needs to sit down and do this in a structured manner.
> > A number of license files were modified.
> > For each file, the old checksum needs to be searched for in the tree,
> > and the license modified.
>
> In case it wasn't clear I'm actually doing something which is not
> recommended
> in meta-opie since it provides none of the protection of LIC_FILES_CHKSUM
> and
> no small amount of fragility, as we have discovered. Nobody should really
> be
> doing this if they can possibly avoid it, and if they are then they
> shouldn't
> be too surprised when things break.

Yes, I would suggest not pointing to the common-license directory as your
LIC_FILES_CHECKSUM for a number of reasons, least of which is if one
license text changes, things break. I would structure those recipes similar
to gettext-native, by having the license in the recipe itself. And while
the way it's structured is legitimate, it's probably not a good idea as
eventually, we should be pulling those licenses at build time from the
upstream provider of base OSI compliant licenses, spdx.org and overlaying
them on top of any non-OSI compliant licenses we maintain (Adobe,
FSF-Unlimited...).

-b

> FWIW, none of the recipes in OE-core itself (nor meta-oe for that matter)
> refer to files in the common license directory - I just checked.
>

> A grep for "LICENSE =" should reveal offending recipes with "<recipe1>
> > && <recipe2>"
> > or "<recipe1>/<recipe2>" etc.
>
> This is a separate issue.
>
> Cheers,