[OE-core] rpmdeps, was Re: dbus-native --with-x

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Jun 1 18:55:32 UTC 2011

On 6/1/11 12:08 PM, Phil Blundell wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 11:58 -0500, Mark Hatle wrote:
>>>
>>> Just to be clear, in the list you mentioned, were you talking about the
>>> usage of rpm-native for rpmdeps, or the usage by package_rpm.bbclass
>>> itself?
>>
>> I was talking about rpm-native recipe in general, and how it's used.
>>
>> rpmdeps requires a good chunk of the rpm infrastructure (even if we don't end up
>> using rpmbuild or rpm commands during the build..)
>
> Do you happen to have a list of what exactly rpmdeps does require?
> Based on the descriptions you gave before, I'm guessing that it probably
> doesn't need openssl (since, afaik, it doesn't do any signing) or pcre
> (since it isn't building any packages) or acl, attr, bzip and zlib
> (since it also isn't installing anything).

rpmdeps uses, according to ldd:

        linux-vdso.so.1
        librpm-5.4.so
        librpmdb-5.4.so
        librpmio-5.4.so
        librpmmisc-5.4.so
        libm.so.6
        libdl.so.2
        libacl.so.1
        libattr.so.1
        libpcreposix.so.0
        libdb-5.1.so
        libmagic.so.1
        liblzma.so.5
        libbz2.so.0
        libz.so.1
        libpthread.so.0
        librt.so.1
        libelf.so.1
        libpopt.so.0
        libssl.so.0.9.8
        libcrypto.so.0.9.8
        libpcre.so.0
        libc.so.6
        libgcc_s.so.1
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x0000003c51800000)

The issue is that it uses the librpm, librpmdb, librpmio, and librpmmisc
libraries.  These libraries provide and use all of the rest of the components.

> It presumably does still need pcre, and I have no idea whether it needs
> db or expat.

pcre is used to handle the file lists and any patterns to generate the lists, or
dependent informtion.  So that is needed.  expat may be needed in the future, I
don't see that it is today.